The five Space Girls were:
- Deep Space, an emotionally repressed genius who wore an expression-concealing visor
- Inner Space, who could shrink herself and in the process grow wings, but had a very limited attention span
- Hyper Space, a flame-haired and fiery-tempered speedster who could move faster than the human eye can see but needed to eat constantly to feed her super-fast metabolism
- The pink-haired Free Space, who could divide herself into three distinct individuals for a maximum of three hours at a time (one of her alternate selves was sickeningly sweet, the other totally amoral)
- The appallingly-named Wide Open Space, a blonde nymphomaniac irresistible to men.
The girls were supposedly intended to represent 'girl power', but were almost universally hated by the readership, with Wide Open Space in particular enraging female fans who saw her as a stereotypical insult to womanhood. Which she was.
Tomlinson does not have fond memories of his time writing the strip: "I'd always thought you can make anything work if you're a good enough writer. But it didn't work, it really didn't. Space Girls lay on the page, coughing blood. The best thing about it was Jason's art, which made it look a lot better than it was." (Thrill-Power Overload by Bishop.)
The picture of Wide Open Space is from the cover of 2000 AD prog 1066 (which for some reason was 'the sex issue').