The improbably named Rick Random was a soldier in the Cosmic War who later became an operative of the Interplanetary Bureau of Investigation in the mid 22nd century. His investigations into various crimes took him to many of Earth's offworld colonies.
Powers and abilities
Solving crimes; armed combat.
Human male who gets regular exercise.
- Rick debuted in Fleetway's Super Detective Library #37 and featured in 27 stories in the title between 1954 and 1959, many of them by the writer and artist team of Harry Harrison and Ron Turner, who fairly quickly replaced his creators as his regular creative team.
- Many of his stories were later reprinted in other IPC/Fleetway titles in the 1960s including the Buster Book 1962 (in which Rick was renamed 'Dick Brando'), Buster Picture Library and Valiant Picture Library (in his Valiant appearances, he was renamed Nick Martin), as well as the Super Picture Special 1969.
- The story S.O.S from Space was later reprinted in the 1978 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special, after which Rick was revived for a new story, Riddle of the Astral Assassin by Steve Moore and Ron Turner in 2000 AD progs 113 to 118 in 1979.
- No further new stories appeared, but more reprints followed in the Dan Dare Annual 1979 and in the Space Picture Library Holiday Specials for 1980 and 1981 (in these last two, he was renamed Dair Avalon).
Rick Random was for many years considered to be one of the least popular strips ever to run in 2000 AD.
- Appearances of Rick Random
- Character Gallery: Rick Random
- Images that feature Rick Random
- Fan-Art Gallery: Rick Random
- Rick Random quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·