Junior, who referred to himself as "Hell's Angel" and "the baddest man who ever lived" (protesting too much?) was the youngest and most vicious of the Angel Gang, a family of criminals who preyed on travellers in the Cursed Earth. He fled Earth along with his family in order to escape the law but was pursued to the planet Xanadu by Judge Dredd, who apparently killed not only Junior and his Pa (who fell into a volcano) but also Junior's brother Mean. Junior's other brother, Link, was accidentally killed by Mean, who had a tendency to go into uncontrollable rages thanks to some brain surgery his father performed on him when he was a teenager to heighten his aggression. Mean was later resurrected by the Judge Child, because the writers thought he was too entertaining a character to go to waste. Junior stayed dead, because 'constantly proclaiming how darned evil you are' isn't the same thing as 'being an interesting and readable character'.
Years later, it was revealed that Pa and Junior had been rescued from the volcano somehow and survived in suspended animation. They challenged Dredd again for revenge, but have not been seen since.
Powers and abilities
AbilitiesTheft and murder.
Strength levelHuman male who gets regular exercise.
A variety of guns and knives.
- Junior first appeared in the classic Judge Dredd story The Judge Child Quest.
- Writer John Wagner eventually admitted that reviving Pa and Junior was, with hindsight, a mistake, and the story has subsequently been quietly ignored.
- Junior Angel was apparently not the first son named 'Junior' that his Pa had had; the previous Junior, a member of Pa's original family, was killed under unrevealed circumstances according to the story Angelic.
Junior was played in the 1995 Judge Dredd movie by Ewen Bremner.
- Appearances of Junior Angel
- Character Gallery: Junior Angel
- Images that feature Junior Angel
- Fan-Art Gallery: Junior Angel
- Junior Angel quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·