Brink is set in the near future, when environmental degradation has made Earth unable to support human life. What is left of humanity lives in several huge, overcrowded, under-resourced space stations known as 'Habitats'. The police have to work hard to stop these pressure-cooker environments from descending into complete chaos, which would probably lead to the extinction of the human race. Their task is made harder by the rise of a new religious sect who believe that humanity is not alone in the cold depths of space, and who hear the whispered promises of a cosmic horror they call the Leper Heart.
There is an interesting interview with the creators of the series here.
- The first series, Brink, started in 2000 AD prog 1978 and concluded in prog 1992
- The second series, Brink: Skeleton Life, started in 2000 AD prog 2023 and concluded in prog 2040
- The third series, Brink: High Society, started in 2000 AD prog 2100 and concluded in prog 2118, with a double-length issue in prog 2116. The ending teased a fourth series.
Names of Habitats
- Galina (not yet completed)
- New Star
- Sophia (a "lowlife mess")
- "Great characters, great art, and the plot bouncing from one place to another really had me hooked." Earthlet Sam Wilkinson, 2000 AD prog 1994.
- "This has been spectacular. The artwork fits it perfectly, I believe in the characters totally, and the premise is a very original reworking of some old ideas. Well executed." Earthlet Dave English, ditto.
- "I'm so happy to see the next chapter getting a run. Fabulous art and it looks like Skeleton Life will be another winner." Earthlet Paddy Campbell, 2000 AD prog 2027.
- "Brink is an intriguing story that's gripped me. Both the text and the art have done a superior job of illustrating the enormity and emptiness of the location." Earthlet Rory Walker, 2000 AD prog 2034.
- "A truly compelling slow-burner, where story and art combine to extol the vastness of its location. A terrific series!" Earthlet NA Parry, 2000 AD prog 2061.