Good-hearted cockney Ben Jackson was an able seaman in the Royal Navy when he met the upper-crust Polly at London's Inferno nightclub in 1966, and the pair inadvertently became caught up in the affairs of the time traveller known as The Doctor. Joining the crew of the TARDIS quite by accident, they travelled with him (and later also with new companion Jamie McCrimmon) for some time before equally accidentally being returned home on the same day that they'd originally left. According to Sarah Jane Smith in The Sarah Jane Adventures, they later married and ran an orphanage in India.
Powers and abilities
Making coffee (Polly); very strong swimmer (Ben).
Young humans who get regular strenuous exercise.
- Ben and Polly (who seemingly went everywhere together) were, as played by Michael Craze and Anneke Wills, among the shorter lived companions of the Doctor on TV, but have appeared surprisingly often in comics. Appearances include the 1968 Doctor Who Annual, several stories in Doctor Who Magazine and cameos in Doctor Who titles from Titan Comics and IDW Comics.
- Polly once worked out a way of killing Cybermen with nail varnish remover.
Polly's last name, Wright, was never given on screen. It has been used extensively in other media though, and was apparently in the rehearsal script for her introductory TV story. Fandom once believed her name was Lopez, but this seems to have been due to mishearing a line of dialogue in the TV story The Faceless Ones.
- Appearances of Ben and Polly (Doctor Who)
- Character Gallery: Ben and Polly (Doctor Who)
- Images that feature Ben and Polly (Doctor Who)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Ben and Polly (Doctor Who)
- Ben and Polly (Doctor Who) quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·