Baby Grumpling (real first name unknown) is a toddler with a fearsome intellect which nonetheless has a tendency to let him down when trying to grasp some of the simpler concepts in life. He believes that school (which he is not old enough to attend) is a prison in which his sister Maisie and her friends are incarcerated every day. He also believes that worms are part of a healthy, nutritious diet (in fact, this may well be true, but only if you really haven't got anything else) and that if he digs deep enough, he'll reach Australia. He digs a lot of holes, when he isn't embarking on some improbable business venture or other (usually worm-related; he invented the wormburger, for instance, though nobody but Wellington ever bought one, and Wellington didn't initially believe it had real worms in it).
Powers and abilities
Picking holes in the nursery rhymes and fairy stories Maisie reads to him.
Human toddler who gets regular moderate exercise.
Can't reach high shelves.
Spade (for digging holes); teddy bear called Gladly My Cross-Eyed Bear.
- Baby Grumpling's unwilling confidant is the Grumplings' youngest child, known only as 'new baby'. It's unclear if said baby has any other name, or even what sex they are. They communicate only through incoherent burbling noises, and all that is ever seen of them is the large black hooded pram which presumably holds an infant somewhere in its depths.
- Baby Grumpling's speech is rendered entirely in lower case, including those words which would normally be capitalised (e.g. proper nouns and the first person singular).
Baby Grumpling's mother is never depicted in the strip, but she occasionally speaks off-panel.
- Appearances of Baby Grumpling
- Character Gallery: Baby Grumpling
- Images that feature Baby Grumpling
- Fan-Art Gallery: Baby Grumpling
- Baby Grumpling quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·