Axel Pressbutton was a meek, unthreatening florist operating in Earth's future until he accidentally took delivery of a sentient, telepathic, anaesthetic carnivorous plant which began eating him from the feet upwards, all the while apologizing profusely and preventing him from feeling any pain. Axel was rescued but only his head, one arm and part of his torso remained intact so he was rebuilt as a cyborg, his missing arm replaced by a cleaver, and fitted with a button on his chest which, when pressed, would violently stimulate the pleasure centres of his brain (a kind of compensation for the loss of everything from the waist down). The embittered Pressbutton suffered a total personality change and became a violent, amoral spacefaring mercenary (partnered with the teenaged assassin Mysta Mystralis AKA Laser Eraser) with a deep-rooted phobia about vegetation of any kind.
Powers and abilities
Male cyborg who gets regular exercise.
- Pressbutton was revived in Warrior magazine, and his adventures were later reprinted (and subsequently continued) in the USA in the Axel Pressbutton and Laser Eraser and Pressbutton series from Eclipse Comics.
- On one occasion, Pressbutton was shown drinking in a bar with a character who appeared to be another Steve Moore creation, Abslom Daak, Dalek Killer from Marvel UK's Doctor Who Magazine.
- The stories in Warrior were set decades before his original appearances (in which he'd died).
Facially, Axel was modelled on Ernest Borgnine.
- Appearances of Axel Pressbutton
- Character Gallery: Axel Pressbutton
- Images that feature Axel Pressbutton
- Fan-Art Gallery: Axel Pressbutton
- Axel Pressbutton quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·