The old-school police inspector Harry Absalom was the main character of the 2000 AD strip Absalom. His beat was a twenty-first century London much like our own, apart from all the supernatural shenanigans (there are even posters advertising Dredd). Harry wasn't just your average grumpy alcohol-dependent copper: he led a team tasked with policing the terms of the Accord, a treaty between the British Crown and Hell. He was haunted by the ghosts of dead colleagues, his clothes looked like he put them on in 1991 and hadn't removed them since, and he also had a special kind of cancer that wouldn't kill him as long as he did what his bosses wanted. His life was not a bowl of cherries. But on the other hand, he was a God-awful old git...
Harry eventually died saving his long missing grandchildren's souls from the forces of darkness.
Powers and abilities
AbilitiesGeneral bloody-mindedness; scabrous sense of humour.
Strength levelAverage strength of an old bloke with a debilitating terminal illness.
Debilitating terminal illness.
EquipmentHip flask; mobile phone held together with sticky tape.
Ancient car with the numberplate A. C. A. B.
- Absalom first appeared in the 2000 AD series Caballistics, Inc. in July 2005 and cropped up in several episodes before being awarded his own series in prog 1732 (May 2011), drawn by the scarily talented Tiernen Trevallion. This first series, Absalom: Ghosts of London, was reprinted in a collected edition in 2012.
- Absalom's own strip first ran in progs 1732 to 1739. He has since returned in progs 1765 to 1771 (2012); progs 1934 to 1942 (2015); the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015 Christmas editions (progs 2012, 2013, 2014 and 1961); 2053-2060 (2017) and 2136-2143 (2019) the 2014 2000 AD Free Comic Book Day issue.
- Absalom had a cameo in 2000 AD prog 2000 (published September 2016) which was drawn by Boo Cook. He was shown being patted on the head by Resting Bitch Face as he offered her a drink. Presumably they were swapping stories about their law enforcement careers.
His name was originally spelled 'Absolam'.
- Appearances of Absalom
- Character Gallery: Absalom
- Images that feature Absalom
- Fan-Art Gallery: Absalom
- Absalom quotations
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: ·